Saturday 31 March 2012

Remains of the Day


The Celtic Spiral

        What would you want to be sent off with you to the afterlife? What would others give you? What would it say about you? These were the questions I asked myself recently, when looking at burial goods in archaeology. The items that I would have included in my burial would be my Celtic spiral silver ring, the same design depicted above. It would demonstrate my Irish heritage, transition into the afterlife if there is one, and also my name, as it looks like an A. My hair would be drawn up in two hair pins at the side of my face, perhaps showing that I had long hair. Pearls at my neck to symbolize both my attachment to the water and my personal value. Chiffon and silk ruffled clothes would show my love of beautiful and feminine clothing. Sand from my home island would be scattered next to me, so that I would never be far from my first home. Preferably, I would want soil from my animal's graves placed with me, as I would want to be them in the afterlife (I love my animals, animals generally, and yes I believe that if people get an afterlife, so do they!). At my wrist I would wear a braided horsehair bracelet, made with my horse's hair, to represent my deep connection to her.
My Beloved Horse: Beauty
When I asked my mother what she would put in my burial, she clammed up and couldn't talk about it at first. Later, she suggested items that identified my passions, such as books of poetry, history, and mythology, rich textiles, reproductions of paintings, and a soft plushy toy cat that purrs (see love of animals professed earlier). We both chose red and pink roses petals with baby's breath and empress lilies, my favorite flowers, to be placed with me and planted around my burial, with a weeping willow, a tree whose grace I have always admired. My mother and I both decided to include elements that reflected my identity through my interests and preferences.



No comments:

Post a Comment